WWWIP Week: 10 Master Crafter Crimsyn

WWWIP Week: 10 Master Crafter Crimsyn

 Detail Week Write Up


This is the last week before Katsucon! So, I needed to finish all the final details before the convention. That means it needs to be wearable, all of the under structures hidden, and everything!



Part One:

The first thing I did was create the scarf with the orangish fabric that I dyed. I flattened the scarf with Muslin so it would hold folds better and not unravel. I also gathered the edges of the scarf to create more volume in the folds with a Velcro attachment in the back. Once the basic structure was put together, I started hacking at it with scissors to create a more tattered look. Lastly, I secured the edges of the burlap with fray-check.



Part Two:

To add more detail to the shirt-dress, I went in with different colored burlaps and hand-stitched them onto the garment. I used a thick embroidery floss so the stitches could be more visible from further away. I also cut and tattered the end of the garment to match the scarf as well. Additionally, I even tattered the petticoat that is worn underneath to create a better transition over the legs.



Part Three:

I was getting so excited about my costume, I had to try it on again just to take some pictures and double check everything was working. I even got my friend to photoshop my legs and arms out to check the proportions of the illusion I was trying to portray. I was pretty happy with how everything was fitting - I made some small alterations here and there to make things more comfortable and mobile - but overall I think it’s definitely in shape to be worn for 8 hours!
These pictures did help me note what extra details and things that needed to be added to hide the understructure or silly things I didn’t want to be seen.



Part Four:

One thing I noticed when comparing my reference images to my second costume test was that I forgot some of the stitching on the headpiece. However, my headpiece is mainly made of Thibra, so I actually had to hammer the needle into the headpiece for each stitch. Not ideal, but it worked how I needed it to!

I think the more stitching I add throughout the costume, the more cohesive it will look in the end. Maybe if I have enough time the night before the convention, I can just hand-stitch myself to sleep for that extra detail.

Part Five:

Another thing I did notice was the Thibra showing on the shoulder pads. I don’t think I added enough extra material in the shoulder pattern of the shirt-dress. So, I ended up covering the tops of the shoulders with the same burlap green fabric that I dyed for the shirt-dress. Hopefully this will blend and look a bit cleaner in the pictures!

Final Details:

I am pretty much completely done with the costume! I may add some more minor details just for my own enjoyment, but I am super excited to have completed this project with Arda Wigs! I cannot wait to see everyone at Katsucon and take pictures with everyone. I’m looking forward to the WWWIP Meetup and talking to everyone about their costumes! :)

Previous Post Next Post

WARNING: You may purchase a higher quantity than what we currently have in stock, but by placing this OUT OF STOCK item in your cart, you are agreeing to place your ENTIRE ORDER on BACKORDER! This means your order will not ship until it can be completely fulfilled by the backordered item(s). Orders cannot be split after they are placed. If you need available items sooner, please purchase them on a separate transaction. Please visit our Backorder Policies page and Restock page for details.